Last updated: January 6th, 2021 at 10:42 am
Moxibustion for Breech Baby at Home
We will help you do moxibustion for breech baby at home.
We are open for phone consultations for turning a breech baby naturally &
We will post you moxa sticks if you have an address in Ireland,
Just email us & we will ring you back to arrange: email@example.com
Linda Ryan, BA, Lic TCM, CH
What is Moxibustion for Breech Babies?
Moxibustion is a therapy from Traditional Chinese medicine that involves burning moxa (which is the herb mugwort) to direct the heat from it toward/near specific acupuncture points on the body. According to Traditional Chinese Medicine, when these points are stimulated by moxibustion, it can strengthen blood flow & prompt the release of certain hormones. The moxibustion procedure to turn breech babies uses moxa on an acupuncture point on the little toe. A recent article in Parents magazine states, ” The traditional Chinese practice of moxibustion is one of the world’s oldest techniques for turning a breech baby—and OB-GYNs still prescribe it today.”
How do you do Moxibustion for Breech Baby at Home?
CAUTION: Doing Moxibustion is a fire hazard, treat it as such. Use in a well ventilated area. Keep away from flammable items.
CAUTION: Do NOT touch yourself with the part of the moxa stick that is burning, it will burn you & possibly leave a scar.
CAUTION: Make sure the moxa stick is fully extinguished after use & store moxa stick on a non-flammable surface & away from flammable items.
Instructions for doing moxibustion for a breech baby at home:
- Make sure you are in a well ventilated room/area or outside. Keep all flammable objects away from the area.
- Have a non-flammable cup of soil prepared to extinguish the moxa stick.
- Sit comfortably with your legs elevated.
- You may want to use a candle to light the moxa stick because it may take a few moments to fully light. Blow out the candle when the moxa stick is lit.
- Position the moxa stick about 1 inch away from & over the corner of the outside of your little toe (see photo above) Allow a few moments for the sensation of warmth to build. The intensity of the heat you feel should be warm, but not uncomfortable. Move the moxa stick either away or closer so that the warm sensation is felt comfortably. Caution: Do NOT allow the burning Moxa stick to come in to contact with your skin, it will burn & possibly scar. Burning moxa is a fire hazard. Keep away from flammable objects.
- Alternate between the left & right little toe every 5 minutes for a total of 20 minutes.
- Extinguish the moxa stick in a cup filled with soil or put it out like a cigarette by twisting it on concrete. If you extinguish it using water, this may make it difficult to re-light the next day. Do not hesitate to use water to put out a fire, do so if needed. Make sure the moxa stick is fully extinguished after use & store moxa stick on a non-flammable surface & away from flammable items.
- Repeat the above 2 times a day for 20 minutes maximum for each time.
- You can stop using the moxa when the baby has turned. You may need confirmation from an examination or scan from a qualified medical professional to verify that your breech baby has turned into the correct position. It is ok if you still used the moxa after the baby has turned, in my years of experience once the baby is in the correct head down position, it stays there and does not turn back even if you continue to do the moxibustion. It is very common to not know baby has turned out of breech position and to have continued using the moxa.
Acupuncture for Induction of Labour
Hi, I’m Linda Ryan, Fertility Acupuncturist & mother of three: Having overcome my own fertility issues is what drives me to help women like you to achieve the results that I made happen for myself.